31st Annual Spring Flounder Tournament
Friday, April 22nd, 2022 - 7:00 am through Sunday, May 1st, 2022 - 3:00 pm
Entry Fee: $50
1st Prize: $5000.00 Cash
2nd Prize: $1000.00 Cash
3rd Prize: $500.00 Cash
4th Prize: $250 Wachapreague Inn Gift Certificate
5th Prize: $100 Gift Certificate to Trident Tackle/ Island House
FREE tournament T-Shirt to the first 400 Paid Entries!
Additional $500 Prizes for Junior and Female Anglers!
Early Entry Bonus drawings for Gift Cards!
Early entry bonus drawing: All entries received by March 1st are eligible for a drawing for a $100.00 gift card to The Island House Restaurant or Trident Tackle. Entries received by March 31st are eligible for a drawing for a $50 Gift Card. Winners will be posted on www.theislandhouserestaurant.com
Any questions? Call (757) 789-3222 or 787-4242 and ask for Debbie.
Hello from Wachapreague!
We here at the Island House hope this application finds each of you doing well and making great memories this Winter season.
We had a solid Flounder season last year, as many anglers both during the tournament and throughout the late Spring and early Summer had some great days on the water. Currently, we have seen some nice rockfish being brought in and this is the last weekend of duck hunting here in Virginia. It also marks the beginning of a long spell of not much to do here outdoors until warmer weather arrives, which brings me to this years’ flounder tournament.
We had a great turnout last year for our tournament with almost 400 entrants and look forward to having you all back again this year to descend into our little piece of paradise called Wachapreague.
We are making bold increases in our payouts this year, as well as a modest increase in our entry fee. The entry fee has gone up $10 this year which is the first increase since taking over the tournament in 2011. However, we are also increasing all levels of cash payout for the top three anglers to include a $5000 top prize which has gone up 150% in less than five years. Second place will be increasing to $1000, and third place will bring in $500.
This year we will again be offering a $500 “Junior Angler” prize for the heaviest fish caught by a participant 12 and under. If you know of any kids you can get into the sport of fishing, we would love to see them come out for the tournament! In addition, we will be awarding a $500 prize to the heaviest fish caught by a female participant. Furthermore, if you are a resident of Virginia’s Eastern Shore, we will be awarding “Locals” award of a $150 Island House Restaurant gift card to the heaviest fish caught by a local. Of course, if any of the winners in these sub-categories also catches the heaviest overall fish for the tournament, then it simply sweetens the tournament for them. Our goal is to reach out to and promote fishing to as many potential anglers as possible, while also reaching out to the next generation of anglers.
If you have three generations of anglers participating in the tournament and come into the restaurant to eat, we would like to extend a 15% discount to your family each and every time you dine with us during the tournament.
We will also be doing our cookout in the parking lot the first Saturday of the tournament again this year. In the event of weather an off-premise event prohibiting us from doing the cookout on the first Saturday, then we will try to let everyone know when they can pick up their shirts. The cookout is free for entrants and $10 for non-participants. Wristbands for the cookout will be handed out to tournament participants when you come get your t-shirt.
All of us at The Island House Restaurant and Trident Tackle inWachapreague appreciate EVERYONE who makes our annual flounder tournament a priority for them each year, and we look forward to seeing you on April 22nd!
1. NO lines in the water before 7:00 a.m., April 22nd, 2022.
2. Registered contestant may fish as many days as desired between April 22nd and May 1st, 2022.
3. All fish must be caught on a hook and line by a Registered Contestant.
4. All fish must be weighed in on the day caught at the Trident Tackle Official Scale.
5. Tournament weigh-ins must be completed by 7:00 p.m. April 22nd through April 30, 2022, inclusive, and by 3:00 p.m. on May 1st, 2022. No weigh-ins after 3:00 p.m. Trident Tackle clock time on May 1st, 2022. Decision of the judges is final!
6. Winners will be determined by weight. In the event of a tie, fish weighed in first will be declared a winner.
7. Fish must be caught in local Virginia waters, on the seaside of the Eastern Shore. Northern boundary, Folly Creek; Southern boundary, Quinby’s Conjer’s Channel. The Eastern boundary is the ocean water breakers.
8. Anglers must comply with ALL Federal and Virginia laws regarding size and number of flounder caught.
9. ALL PERSONS on the boat must be a registered contestant in the tournament.
10. Weather considerations will be the contestant’s choice- they will fish at their own discretion and accept full responsibility for their decisions.
11. All fish entered will be subject to any examinations judges deem necessary for the integrity of the tournament.
12. Any violation of the tournament rules shall constitute grounds for disqualification. Judges shall rule on any violation and their decision shall be final.
13. All entries must be received before 7:00am April 22nd, 2022. Captains, make sure your boat is legal BEFORE the tournament!